Pavlova

Pavlova is up there with cheesecake as one of my favourite desserts. I believe most people find making meringue difficult, but if you use the hands that God gave you, it's actually one of the easiest desserts to make. They do sell egg whites in a carton if you don't want to touch raw eggs, and patience is key if you don't have an electric whisk. I always stash un-used egg whites in the freezer, so I'm always pavlova ready. All that's needed is a quick trip to the shops to get cream and fruits of your choice. I'm not fussy about that, but my Mum was in the mood for blueberries and strawberries.


Just like with the Eton Mess, I started by pre-heating the oven to 180 degrees. Into the stand alone mixer went in 4 egg whites and I got that going until the whites turned white and frothy and were able to make peaks.


Then, a tablespoon at a time, I added caster sugar, making sure each spoonful was incorporated fully before the next spoonful. As I did this, the whites became silky shiny, increasing in volume - the peaks even firmer. This is when some people try balance it above their head, but I was certain they were fine just by looking at them. Let's not tempt gravity!


 The last thing to do was fold in the vinegar, cornflour and vanilla extract and it was done.

I dolloped it all onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper and tried to make swirls to make it pretty. I don't worry so much about making it a perfect circle because it expands in the oven so much when the vinegar and cornflour react. The only time I did worry about the shape was when I made a Christmas wreath shape. (You can find that picture on my Google+ profile)


I slid this into the oven and then turned the oven temperature down to 150 degrees. This allows a low and slow bake and ensures a crispy outside and marshmallow centre, I baked this for an hour then turned off the oven leaving it in there to cool completely while I went off to bed.

When the meringue had cooled, it had sunken in slightly, but not worry! The cream and the berries will sit comfortably inside this crunchy crater. Or you can do what Nigella Lawson does: turn it upside down and decorate that side. 

When we were ready to eat, I put the cooled meringue onto a serving plate, prepped the berries and lightly whipped the cream. I did not want the cream whipped stiff, still light and still flowy.

On top of the meringue went the white blanket of double cream which was strewn with strawberries and blueberries. 


Pavlova isn't just delicious, it's so beautiful. It's perfect in the sense you've got the balance of flavours: you've got the sugar sweet meringue offset by the light cream and tart berries. It makes a gorgeous centre piece to any dinner party. Have fun with pavlova, because just like cheesecake the possibilities are endless. 

Serves 4-6 people

~ Pre-heat oven to 180 degress 

Ingredients for...

Meringue:
  • 4 Egg Whites
  • 250g Caster Sugar
  • 1tsp Vinegar
  • 2tsp Cornflour
  • 1tsp Vanilla Extract 
Pavlova topping:
  • 400g Fruit/Berries of your choice
  • 2x 284ml Elmlea Double Cream


Comments

Popular Posts